When Should I Replace my Sports Bra? April 15 2016
One of the biggest no-no’s with sports bras (& normal bras too) is wearing them to the point of no return. According to research conducted by Under Armour and Portsmouth University, the more you exercise, the more the elasticity in your sports bra stretches. So a well-loved bra won’t offer you much in the support department—and this can speed up the inevitable sagging process, no matter your cup size.
So like any fitness gear, make sure you replace your sports bra. How often depends on a number of criteria:
- How often you wear the same bra (it’s recommended you give it a few days rest in between work outs)
- Type of exercise i.e high impact will put more strain on the bra
General rule of thumb
- Exercising more than three times a week for more than 45 minutes per session, retire your sports bra after six months
- Training for a marathon, you would need to replace your bras every three months
Also, look for signs of wear and tear:
- If it’s just a tad too comfy (meaning the support’s just not there anymore)
- If the band at the bottom seems looser or if you notice a bit more bounce as you’re exercising, it’s time to go shopping.